This is my favorite home baked bread - hands down - bar none!
This bread is flexible enough to wrap around a brat or hot dog without breaking. Since this is baked in a jelly roll pan, it's one big piece of...flat bread. [Clever name, huh?]
For use with a hotdog or brat, the piece needs to be cut a bit larger than a slice for a sandwich.
As you can see in the picture below, Peggy has also made hamburger buns as well as a focaccia-style bread and veggie pizza.
If you are making this recipe for a gluten-free guest, please read our Guide to Gluten Cross Contamination.
1 cup GF brown rice flour (Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 cup GF tapioca starch (Bob's Red Mill)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 Tablespoon instant yeast
½ teaspoon salt
¾ c. water
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2-3 Tablespoons sweet rice flour (for dusting pan/hands)
1. Mix together all dry ingredients (not the sweet rice flour that's used for dusting).
2. In a heavy mixer, combine wet ingredients (water, vinegar, oil, and eggs).
3. Slowly add dry ingredients to well blended wet ingredients.
4. Beat on medium/medium high speed for 4 minutes.
5. Dust a large jelly roll (15 x 11) pan with flour (or oil bottom of pan and lightly dust oiled pan).
6. Scrape dough onto oiled/dusted pan and press as thinly as possible. (fill pan)
7. Using a fork, tap indentations across the entire dough.
8. Place dough in a warm spot, allow to rest/rise for 35-40 minutes.
9. Preheat oven to 425F.
10. Bake for 11-15 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.
11. It wil come out of the oven with a slight crust that will go away as the bread cools. Allow the bread to cool 15-30 minutes before using. It will become flexible and soft.
12. Cut into large pieces to use as a folded sandwich bread or as individual slices.
Note: Instead of 1 cup of brown rice flour, try using any combination of sorghum, millet, oat flour, almond flour. Just make sure it totals 1 cup.
1 - 1 oz packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Mix
2 - 8oz. Packages cream cheese
Cherry Tomatoes (raw)
Red Onion (raw)
Yellow Pepper (raw)
Make and bake crust as directed above.
While crust is cooling, chop veggies in small bite sized pieces. In a bowl mix together Dip Mix and cream cheese.
When crust is completely cooled, spread cream cheese mixture evenly on top. Sprinkle chopped veggies. Top with shredded cheese.